Monday, May 6, 2013

Mog, the Nightmare

New card from Heroes' Tale, I like how this one turned out :)
Which reminds me, Heroes' Tale has reached it's Kickstarter goal and will officially go into production! Congrats to Christopher Merlino, Andrew Theophilopolous, and the HT team.
I'm going to be a printed card artists, a dream come true :)))

Pretty much jumped in directly from the thumbnail, took about 6 hours.

For those of you interested, here is the brief, the thumbnails, and the process. Enjoy :)

Mog, the Nightmare:
Mog the Dreamer was one of the strongest guardians in the forest second only to Nallafrax. As Mog slept his dreams would make the forest grow lush and beautiful. Whenever great danger would threaten the forest it was he who would be on the front lines of the defense, and so he was, when Ulek made his move… Now Mog is a prisoner in his own body. He is no longer known as Mog the Dreamer instead he is now known as Mog the Nightmare, one that destroys everything in his path. Some say that Mog weeps for the damage he causes, as rain clouds follow in the wake of his destructive path.



Chris liked these but wanted the Mog #2 to be viewed from the angle of Mog #1, and he wanted it to be set at night with a bluish palette. I made the changed and sent in this one:


and then, I painted

2 comments:

Top 10: the art of Secrets of Strixhaven

 I recently returned from an art retreat on an island in Menorca, where I met one of my favorite artists from my formative years: Phil Hale....