Saturday, May 4, 2013

Figure with Fiore!

Here are all of my figures from the second half of the semester. We finally got to do longer poses, most of these are 45min-2hr, some more successful than others. I feel like I grew tremendously in this class, and I really (finally) clicked with charcoal and especially chalks. I'll try to make little notes about these and what I learned along the way. Enjoy!

This one is the shortest pose, probably 20min, and the most inaccurate/stylized. Still, I felt like it captured the essence of the pose and the model so I included it.
should have probably drawn in the stick he was holding so he doesn't have that awkward floating hand...
Ink gesture
Obviously not the most appealing use of inks, as I was too impatient/inexperienced to layer properly, yet I like the noise/texture that the ink lent this piece
Not enough time to bring this to a cohesive finish, so the whole suffers. Spent the most time on the chest, and left the whole head for the last 15 minutes, a bad habit I need to kick. This piece also brings to light my lack of understanding in the anatomy of knees and legs in general.
Probably my favorite figure of the semester, the model and lighting were really fun to capture.
Got to feel like Sargent for a second on this one when I made the necklace ;)
This piece was a breakthrough for me in unifying values, restricting the value range of the skin, pants, hair, etc
besides the awkward "man arm" thing going on here, I rather like this one
knees.........how do they work?
drew this one with my glasses off, tremendously helpful in simplifying/seeing the big shapes, kind of a fun exercise for anyone out there who's myopic 

and here's a portrait I made of my figure instructor: Patrick Fiore


3 comments:

Top 10: the art of Secrets of Strixhaven

 I recently returned from an art retreat on an island in Menorca, where I met one of my favorite artists from my formative years: Phil Hale....