Friday, January 16, 2026

Top 10: the Art of Lorwyn Eclipsed

Lorwyn, which came out in 2007, was the set that cemented both my love of Magic and fantasy illustration all those years ago. I discovered the works of Jesper Ejsing for the first time, Omar Rayyan, Steve Prescott, Wayne Reynolds. I loved the world and the hand-painted characters that inhabited it.


Lorwyn Eclipsed, like Bloomburrow and Dominaria United before it, is a set of such overwhelming quantity of quality art that any Top 10 list is a laughable concept. Instead, I will use this space to share and celebrate many (but not all) of the pieces that caught my eye this time around. The rankings are arbitrary and ceremonial at this point. 


The fact that I failed to secure a single commission for our return to the plane is genuinely one of my only regrets in life (so far).


As always, I ask only that you spend some time savoring and appreciating these lovingly crafted illustrations, (click on the images for full-screen!), with no distractions. Let them tickle your brain with delight. I will continue updating with hi-res artworks as they are shared by the respective artists.

-V





















4. Curious Colossus













2. Ignoble Hierarch


Perhaps my favorite single painting in the set, from a technical standpoint. In a lot of ways this sets the bar for my own works moving forward.











~More Beauty~





















No comments:

Post a Comment

Top 10: the art of Secrets of Strixhaven

 I recently returned from an art retreat on an island in Menorca, where I met one of my favorite artists from my formative years: Phil Hale....