Saturday, March 24, 2012

DIPSY!

Yo so I haven't made a DIPSY post in waaaay too long. I'm still going every week, and I still love it. Here's a little recap:

Week 1
Demo: Painting (like Sargent)/Color
Theme: Animal Warrior

Week 2
Speaker: David Coleman
Demo: Character Design
Theme: Inferior Dragon
David actually chose my drawing out of the bunch as being the most successful! 
I was super proud and excited :D

Week 3
Speaker: Me!
Demo: Threadless
Theme: Puns
It was a huge honor to be able to host a DIPSY and I demo'd how to prepare t-shirts for Threadless. It was a lot of fun and I think some people really got a lot out of it. Here's some of my notes from the demo:

Essentially, Threadless prints the full spectrum of designs, from very simple ones, to highly intricate ones. Often times, the simpler the better, especially for t-shirts. Remember that people have to be able to tell what is going on from far away and get the point/joke right away.
Colors cost money. Therefore, it makes sense that Threadless is going to lean towards printing designs using less colors. Not always the case but it is a factor. It shouldn't limit you but you should always be looking for ways to decrease your color count if it doesn't hurt your overall design.
Take any one color layer with varying opacities,
Command C, Command N, Command V
Image: Mode: Greyscale (Flatten Layer if prompted to do so)
Image: Mode: Bitmap
Choose "Halftone Screen", play with the numbers to get the desired look (now your image is purely black and white, no fuzzy edges or different colors)
Image: Mode: Greyscale (so you can have layers again)
Duplicate Layer and Delete Background Layer (so you're left with an editable layer)
Magic Wand Tool, uncheck "Contiguous" and "Anti-Alias", click the white, delete it
You're left with a haltone version of what you had, in black
Color Overlay your original color back on

Week 4
Demo: The Life and Times of Pascal
This guy is awesome and loving life, as he should.

Week 5
Speaker: David O'Keefe
Demo: Caricature
Theme: Yoav
cherubs included :)

Week 6
Speaker: Michelle Kwon
Demo: Digital Painting/Color?
Theme: Movie Still

Week 7
Speaker: Roi Horn
Demo: Art and Life
Theme: Battle Scene
only had about 15 minutes for this one
it was awesome to hear Roi talk, because he doesn't do that a lot
I also won by default O.o (still counts?)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Top 10: the art of Secrets of Strixhaven

 I recently returned from an art retreat on an island in Menorca, where I met one of my favorite artists from my formative years: Phil Hale....