Saturday, March 2, 2024

Top 10: Art of Murders at Karlov Manor

Some of my favorite pieces from Magic the Gathering's latest expansion: Murders at Karlov Manor


10. 

It's not a top 10 art list without Wayne Reynolds! In the storied tradition of MtG Sphinxes (of which there are 75), Reynolds still manages to deliver something striking, different, and memorable. 


9. 

Included for its technical excellence as well as its unique point of view, this painting by Ryan Pancoast is a treat for the eyes. Wizards knew what they were doing when they used it as one of the first promotional images announcing the set. The varied thickness of paint used to achieve different textural effects like the leather on the hat are hallmarks of this painter at the top of his game (at the top of the game).

As an aside, I always confuse this image as depicting Ikoria's giant green crystals in the reflection of the lens. Between the set name's proximity to Markov (Karlov), the characters all looking like New Capenna denizens, and this image, it's clear to me that this set's identity is not as clear as what I might have hoped for Ravnica.


8. 

Uriah Voth knocked it out of the park this set, and I am glad he was given more high-profile characters like Tolsimir and Vannifar to play with, but it was this piece, Urgent Necropsy, that stopped me in my tracks. The captivating portrait, the tilt of the head, the graphic glowing silhouette of the hands, and the way it all looks so good in the golden frame of the card make this painting greater than the sum of its parts.


7. 

Jodie Muir ranks among my favorite artists for her buttery portraits (mostly of Adam Driver) and gothic fantasy personal art, and it's always a treat to see her Magic work. I loved all her cards this set (Clandestine Meddler, Homicide Investigator, Trostani, Three Whispers, Hotshot Investigators, Deadly Complication), which is an impressive feat already, but Judith has to take the cake, not least of all because of the demon waiter in the background. 

Similarly to her boss Rakdos, Judith is a character that has been blessed with only fantastic renditions, passing through the capable hands of Wes Burt, Benjamin Ee, Alex Dos Diaz, and now Jodie!


6. 

A simple image that gets all the details right, like the goblin's eager and concentrated expression, or how he's holding the quill with his full hand like a toddler holding a crayon. I can't look at this one without smiling! 

by Izzy


5. 


I don't know what to say other than I love Kai's work so much. The painterly brushwork, rich colors, well defined materials... This image also gets marks for pulling off the "investigator but make it fantasy" look that so many cards in the set fail to achieve.

Fun fact: I believe this card depicts Mileva, previously featured on Tenth District Guard, Tenth District Veteran, Battlefield Promotion, and Tenth District Legionnaire. Sort of an unofficial Legendary character.


4. 


This entire cycle by Mia Boas has been a highlight of the set for me. Tagging in outside artists for alt arts or showcase variants in recent Magic sets has been hit or miss but this is an example of the perfect person for the job! I am currently trying to acquire as many as I can in foil (especially the Plains!). 


3.  

Aldo Dominguez's work hit the Magic scene in Brothers' War and I have been a fan ever since. I find his colors and values crisp, refreshing, and legible at card size. Being the Boros fan that I am , I was blown away by this image of Aurelia striking out against the demon lord Rakdos, perfectly framed by the angel's legion and the demon's cult facing off in the foreground. I love the mural-like composition and clear layering of information, as well as Rakdos's fractured portrait among the rays of Aurelia's sword. 

It is the kind of painting that evokes an entire set unto itself, a conflict that could have been, a war between the Boros and the Rakdos that tore Ravnica in two! (would have been a little more interesting than Clue, tbh).

2. 

It has been a long time since I've been moved by the raw excellence of a compositional arrangement. Add to that perfect values, colors, saturation, edges, shapes, immaculately painted hands, and a sprinkle of the edginess and angularity I loved from the art of Dishonored, and what you get is, in my opinion, Micah Epstein's best offering to Magic to date. I am reminded of when I first saw Karla Ortiz's Teysa, Envoy of Ghosts and my reaction was "has Sargent risen from the dead to paint this masterpiece??" Bravo Micah!



1. 

Despite my adoration and awe of the number 2 card, only one piece has been my desktop background for the past month, and that is Victor Adame Minguez's Aurelia's Vindicator. I must admit some bias here, with the intersection of sword-wielding angel, Boros sigils, and absolutely gorgeous armor being too strong of a draw for me. The simplicity and juice of the temperature contrast and the effect of her cutting through the fog pack a hypnotic punch, and awards this piece the first place in my heart for this set. Another Minguez masterpiece for the books! 


About the Top 10 series:
In a world where we mindlessly scroll past inexhaustible quantities of "content", consuming works of art that took days to create in mere seconds, this series is an invitation to explore, investigate (ha!), and really appreciate standout works from my favorite card game, Magic the Gathering. It is a meditation on my own tastes and fancies, an opportunity for me to analyze what "works" at a gut level. This usually involves readability at card size, creative storytelling, technical prowess, and the intangible X factor of true greatness!

-Vic


Finally, since I can never keep it to just ten, more work I enjoyed from the set!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Top 10: the art of Secrets of Strixhaven

 I recently returned from an art retreat on an island in Menorca, where I met one of my favorite artists from my formative years: Phil Hale....