This piece was about creating a mood, and it evolved in a pretty organic way. It was a pretty quick piece, about 6 hours start to finish
thumb/value study-->line-->b&w painting-->color
I don't usually work in layers like this but I wanted to possibly animate it later so we'll see...
hehe, Blitz was a bit of a rush job, 3 hours total. No room for hesitation but plenty of room for mistakes. maybe I'll polish this one up some day...
This piece was very straightworward: semi-tight line drawing, colored in photoshop. Came out without a hitch, about 5 hours
This piece evolved a lot obviously, and honestly I feel like I spent too much time trying to fix it when if I had done maybe one or two more passes on the drawing, a lot of the issues could have been resolved ahead of time. Every piece I make that lacks a good drawing tends to turn into a hot mess, and this was just that. I managed to reign everything at the last minute, but it still has a lot of issues and I definitely learned my lesson on this one: lock down the design/drawing first or be prepared for your painting to fight you every step of the way...
Well, there you have it, feel free to leave questions / comments below and as always, thanks for looking
PS just finished up my first freelance gig and hopefully I'll be able to post up images in a month or so!




I actually had a large train of thought and epiphany about design and drawing this early morning. I can't quite put it into words at the top of my head, but I love what you wrote about locking down the design/drawing first or be prepared to fight against it later on; really feel that anchors my thoughts.
ReplyDeleteGreat work as always, Victor!
For sure man, there's a million ways to tackle any problem, and I'm actually a big advocate of being loose and abstract as well, but for finished pieces, I recommend drawing it out first :)
DeleteThese are awesome, Victor! Love seeing your process.
ReplyDeletethanks Millie, hope it helps!
DeleteYou're a mad man.
ReplyDelete